Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The hills are alive with the sound of (bird) music

Blue Tit (Parus caeruleus)

Well the birds (feathered variety) are definitely enjoying this endless sunshine and they are bursting into song all around. Their plumage is particularly vibrant and eye catching at this time of year. The visitors are arriving en masse (no worries about volcanic ash) and setting up their territories and preparing nests. My swallows arrived 2 days ago - I thought they were lost. The local birds are well ahead of the visitors, with some of them with their first broods already out and about.

Female House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)

Female House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)

Male House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)

2 comments:

  1. Your local birds are early! The swallows that I saw a week or so ago must have been passing through as I have only seen one or two since then - perhaps they went across to you! The swallows that nest in my shippon didn't arrive last year, so I am praying for their arrival this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...tku for leaving a comment on my blog.

    Our swallows have not arrived yet. I always worry till I see them flying over the garden.

    House sparrow, a very unde-rated species. I love them and have quite a large flock in my hedgerow. Your photographs show just how beautiful they are.

    ReplyDelete